Here are some very simple moving tips that can turn a planned move into a smooth experience without the hassles:
* Choose your movers wisely and do this plenty ahead of time! Start looking for a reliable moving firm at least 6 weeks in advance.
Take your time with this and don’t hesitate to compare a bunch of movers side by side.
Ask them what they offer and what’s included with the price. Write all this information down to make it easier for you to find a suitable moving company.
* Good communication with your movers should be key. Don’t forget it’s your valuables! Always let the movers know ahead what’s coming toward them. If you have big, bulky furniture or things such as an expensive big screen TV let them know. This can help avoiding problems and delays since the movers can prepare so they’ll arrive at your home the right packing materials for your stuff.
* ALWAYS, ALWAYS make a list of all your belongings and where you pack them! If you do the packing yourself, make note of what items are in what particular box. Number your boxes! Very important: Have the movers sign on how many boxes they pick up. When you receive the boxes in your new home, count them because this time it will be you who will have to sign that you received everything! If you don’t document the number of boxes and that the movers did indeed pick them up you will have a very hard time in case something is lost or stolen. Many movers will reject your claim if you cannot prove that the missing goods were indeed in their hands!
* The same as above goes for the state of your items when it comes to damages that might arise during the move. The best tip here is to document the shape and state of your belongings using photos so you can prove that the damage happened during the move.
* If you need to move with very expensive or sensitive equipment such as computers or jewelry, consider whether you want to move them yourself in your own car. If you’re able to keep an eye on your invaluable goods it is still the best option as opposed to entrusting them to even the best movers.